No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Support

Clear Notifications

By Cody @codywarmbo
    2018-08-25 15:20:25.054Z

My users and I used a chat the other day and now I have 45+ notifications waiting for me. I figured viewing the most recent one from the chat would clear them all but it did not. Am I cursed to a life of 99+ notifications eventually?

• 21 replies

There are 21 replies. Estimated reading time: 10 minutes

1. I have the same problem :- P
      I mean, too many notifications waiting for me.
      Need to fix this, ... (won't happen immediately, ... I'm a bit short of time for the moment)

I'll add a "clear-all-notifications" button, and also notifications from the same chat, can probably be collapsed, so one see only one of those notifications. And like you said, looking at the most recent ones, should probably clear all (in a chat).

(Possibly a group of notifications that have been collapsed to just one, could expand on click, so one sees all those notifications from the same topic? hmm. I'll have a look at how this works, at other places)

1. C
        In reply tocodywarmbo:
        Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
          2018-09-09 02:02:27.689Z

I'm also experiencing this. We're not using chats but regular forum threads/posts and in general reading/viewing a thread or post won't clear the notifications for that thread/post. So we have to manually click each and every notification to clear them (or ignore them) even if we've read the contents already.

1. C
            In reply tocodywarmbo:
            Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
              2018-10-23 19:05:59.993Z

New bug possibly related to this: I'm getting a "Post not found" error when clicking on the notifications for this thread. It's consistently only for this thread.

1. CChristian Scheuer @chrscheuer
                  2018-10-23 19:06:35.404Z

Clicking "Mark all as read" removed some notifications and now they work.... Hmm.

1. Seems this a bug: If someone, maybe I, reply to you, and then delete the reply (maybe I replied to the wrong comment, deleted my reply and re-posted it elsewhere) — then the notification to you, about the deleted reply, won't get deleted. I should delete the notification too. I'll add a comment about that in the source code so I'll remember. Thanks for mentioning.

• Progress
                  with doing this idea
                • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2018-08-27 13:36:46.582Z.
                • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2018-09-23 20:46:14.309Z.
                • I'll add a Mark All As Read button, as step one. Later on, maybe notifications can be grouped by page? And clicking [a notification that represents all notifications on a page] could clear [all notifications from that page].

And yes @chrscheuer I'll look into marking those one reads, as read, too.

1. Fixed now (mostly). Now there's a "Mark all as seen" button in your username menu, so you can mark all notifications as seen, at once. @codywarmbo, @someburneraccount, @melanopsis

@chrscheuer I also wrote code that auto-marks posts as seen, when they're on screen. I'll enable it in the next release. (I.e. will fix this: "reading/viewing a thread or post won't clear the notifications for that thread/post". Maybe some tweaks will be needed, to adjust for people's reading speed.)

1. @chrscheuer

Now the server has been upgraded, and it tries to mark post you have read, as read. For this to work, the browser needs to have focus. You'll see a small blue dot, at the top of a post:

and when it disappears, that means the browser thinks you've read the post. (If you reload the page, the blue dots reappear, but the related notifications should be gone & marked as read).

It'd be interesting to hear how this works for you.

1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Done 2018-11-26 07:45:06.054Z.