No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Showing and changing blog comments discussionId and URL

By Bryce Wray @BryceWray
    2019-09-01 17:52:22.040Z2019-09-06 06:37:45.534Z

@KajMagnus for those posts prior to my setting up a discussionId parameter to make their comments portable, is there a way in the Admin view I can see an ID and then retroactively apply it to those older posts? Am doing some transitioning and hate to lose those comments. I can see them in Admin but don't see their parameters. Hope all that makes sense. Thanks as always, sir.

[Edit] I changed the title from "Any way to identify old discussionId ?" to the current title. /KajMagnus [/Edit]

• 12 replies
    1. There is not, and to me that seems like a good thing to have. I've previously a bit been wondering how to deal with situations like yours. There could 1) be a page that lists all embedded comments pages, where you'll see blog post URLs and any already existing discussionIds, and where you can add and remove new ids. Or 2) I can add a view-&-change discussionId setting, on each page. Or maybe both 1 & 2 would make sense, actually.

I have fairly many things to do this week, but hopefully I can be done with this at the end of next week. What's your time frame for doing the transitioning to ... Is this to a new domain? Or different URL paths?

1. In reply toBryceWray:
        Bryce Wray @BryceWray
          2019-09-02 18:37:37.802Z

No hurries. Still in the dev stage with various bugs to fix. In the end, would be the same site and domain (https://brycewray.com), but just pointing Netlify to a different repo. Will be glad to help with testing of this feature if that would be useful for you. Thanks!

1. In reply toBryceWray:
            Bryce Wray @BryceWray
              2019-12-19 10:33:37.243Z

(Dupe. Deleted.)

1. Progress
                with doing this idea
              2. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-09-06 07:09:44.260Z2019-09-06 07:27:04.887Z

@BryceWray — both you, and apparently also @SteveM, need this.

I'm changing the topic type to "Idea" & I changed the title, ... and marking as Planned,
                Hopefully I can get this done the next week, or the next next week.

Yes Bryce if you'd like to help with testing this out, that be good :- )

1. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2019-09-06 07:09:49.323Z.
                2. Bryce Wray @BryceWray
                    2019-09-06 10:42:02.982Zreplies toKajMagnus:

Great. Just let me know how and when to test. Can test in both Hugo and Eleventy so perhaps that will help.

1. Bryce Wray @BryceWray
                        2019-10-12 02:45:11.107Zreplies toKajMagnus:

Hello. Just wondering where this stands. I take it this got derailed by work on other things? Either that, or you implemented it and I just don't know where to find it. :-)

1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-10-12 12:53:42.188Zreplies toBryceWray:

I've fixed this, and it's a bit untested. Can I first try to change the URLs at another blog (which was imported from Disqus and has some old broken URLs that I can now fix)? and then tomorrow I'll write to you about how to do this.

(One goes to the Admin Area | Settings | Features and enables Experimental, then clicks the Content tab that appear, and then one can edit discussion IDs and URLs. However don't try to edit the other fields right now. — I suggest you wait until I message you again tomorrow :- ))

1. Bryce Wray @BryceWray
                              2019-10-12 13:00:14.097Zreplies toKajMagnus:

That’s fine; I’ll wait until you give the “all-clear,” so to speak. Thanks for continuing to work on this! I feared you’d had to abandon it for some reason. Since I’m not only still migrating back and forth among SSGs but also resurrecting formerly deleted posts (see https://brycewray.com/posts/2019/10/otoh), I need this more now than I did when I first asked for it. :-)

1. Hi Bryce @BryceWray I noticed in the server logs that there was an error when you tried to change the "external IDs" of some pages — if you have time, what was the reason you tried to do this change?

Maybe I can look into making that working.

I wrote to you:

I've fixed this, and it's a bit untested. Can I first try to change the URLs at another blog

I've done that now and it worked fine. Sorry I forgot to get back to you and reply about that. So, if you want to change the URLs, that should work now, as per the description in my last post above. — I had a look at your blog, and seems to me the comments appear where they should, so maybe you've done this already? (or I've forgotten something, was a while ago)

1. Bryce Wray @BryceWray
                                    2019-12-19 10:34:57.137Zreplies toKajMagnus:

Yes, was trying to assign discussionIDs to match those on pages which currently aren’t showing old comments that are in the TY DB — e.g., https://brycewray.com/posts/2019/04/why-left-ulysses/, which “lost” them when I took that page offline for a few months. Gave up the try due to those server errors and also figured maybe you were still working on it. No problem. I appreciate your checking!

1. KajMagnus @KajMagnus2019-12-20 01:31:38.623Zreplies toBryceWray:

@BryceWray Now I've fixed that page, i.e. https://brycewray.com/posts/2019/04/why-left-ulysses/. I added a discussion id to the Talkyard page to match the discussion id in the blog post HTML:

<div class="talkyard-comments" data-discussion-id="2019-04-why-left-ulysses"   ...

And I added discussion id 2019-05-boxed-in for the Talkyard page for this blog post too: https://brycewray.com/posts/2019/05/boxed-in/ — it has one Like, which didn't appear until now.

It wasn't the External ID field that was to be updated, but instead, the Discussion ID. (Maybe I can hide the External ID field for now, hmm, or move it to the bottom of the form.)

1. Bryce Wray @BryceWray
                                          2019-12-20 01:46:38.919Zreplies toKajMagnus:

Excellent! Thanks very much.