No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Add a way to create events, with date and location

By @tobiasBora
    2019-09-20 01:35:35.709Z

Hello,
    First thanks a lot for this great tool, it is amazing! I'm thinking to use it to help building a community that could (should) have meetings/events between each other, and these events should be proposed by the community. So my dream would be to have a new topic type "Event", that allow to the user to provide:

1. a date (this is mandatory). This would be useful to know when an event is finished or not, and it could be used to display all events in a calendar. Even better, I would love to be able to sort events by tags, and create an actual Webdav calendar that my users could connect to.
    2. a location (facultative, I'm not sure yet how location should be handle...
      1. Either specified in the desription directly + a tag specifing the region (I want to be able to do searchs like "Give me all events that happens in California", so I could create one tag per region/big city with the form state-california)
      2. or directly a way to specify the localisation that automatically provides a GPS coordinate that could be used to get notify when an event occurs close to us...)

If location is not implemented, actually, it's not a big deal tags could be a solution, but date is pretty important.

So now that I presented my dream, I have two questions:

1. Does talkyard provide a way to write "plugins" that could implement this kind of functionality without touching the code? That way I could implement it on my side without touching the main code (except of course if you prefer me to implement it in the main code).
    2. If not, is it at least possible (I mean without completely rewriting talkyard) to create this kind of topic type I mentioned above? It would be great to have the date asked directly in the form at write time. If talkyard is not made for these kind of custom form, at least is it possible to create them after the publication of the code like tags? One could create a "Add location" to a post, and a "Add date" to a post. It could even be useful for working teams that have deadline to respect ;-)
    3. Do you plan to add this kind of feature in talkyard directly?

Thanks again!

• 4 replies
    1. In reply totobiasBora:

Hi Tobias, thanks for submitting this idea :- )

I've been thinking about using Talkyard for events. E.g. for a local sketching group (I like sketching), or for people who meetup and co-work together at a cafe maybe. And anyone in the community could post events, and others could indicate if they're Going, or Maybe going. There's Meetup .com and Facebook for events, and ... I think they're okay and mostly work, and, at the same time, both of them do things that make me feel annoyed or more.

I think topics of type Event can be in Talkyard core. And listing all topics of type Event, ... maybe not in a calendar (too complicated) but in a by-date topic list, like Meetup .com does.

Initially using tags for location sounds like a good idea. Some time later, also including a GPS coordinate, yes.

The two questions:

1. Plugins. Not yet any way to write plugins. I do want to add a plugin system.

2. Yes, I think an Event type topic makes sense. I think events is useful for so many different types of communities (e.g. all organizations have meetings sometimes? — i.e. events) so it can be in core.

have the date asked directly in the form at write time ... custom form

If you have ideas about how the UI for this could look, it'd be interesting :- ) Maybe a 2 step wizard? Title and text, followed by date and location? Or adding a date button at the end of the Title input field in the editor?

create them after the publication of the code like tags?

Probably both. There's the per topic Change ... button which could have entries "Change location" and "Change date".

create a "Add location" to a post, and a "Add date" to a post

That could make sense for events, and for newspapers: specifying when and where a news item happened. And for deadlines, like you mentioned.

3. The features you mention (dates, locations, list all upcoming events by date) — I think that makes sense directly in Talkyard. Things like showing a calendar of all events — that'd probably not be directly in Talkyard though. (Too many different ways to render a calendar, I'm thinking. But having a start and end date — that's simpler.)

What are your thoughts about all this?

What is your community going to be about? What type of events? If I may ask.

1. T@tobiasBora
          2019-09-24 09:38:02.099Z2019-09-24 10:01:06.606Z

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I think topics of type Event can be in Talkyard core. And listing all topics of type Event, ... maybe not in a calendar (too complicated) but in a by-date topic list, like Meetup .com does.

That would be already a great step, and I could eventually take care of adding it to some calendar if I need it, and if there are ways to access the database.

Initially using tags for location sounds like a good idea. Some time later, also including a GPS coordinate, yes.

Great!

1. Plugins. Not yet any way to write plugins. I do want to add a plugin system.

Ok nice, let me know when it's implemented!

If you have ideas about how the UI for this could look, it'd be interesting :- ) Maybe a 2 step wizard? Title and text, followed by date and location? Or adding a date button at the end of the Title input field in the editor?

Oh, it is possible to create a 2 steps wizard? Nice! Well, if it were possible to open a full page when creating a new Event instead of just opening a small box below the screen (which is nice for answers, but less nice for full topics), I'd prefer to put everything on the same page (topic, date, location/tags... actually, I would love to be able to add tags directly when I'm writing a new Question/Problem/Idea/..., it's not very natural to add tags via Change... after writing the question, but it's another topic). Otherwise, if we need to stick with a small window at the bottom of the screen, a two step wizard is also nice (maybe harder to code?). But for me UI is not the most important thing, anything easy to create/maintain is good for me ;-)

Probably both. There's the per topic Change ... button which could have entries "Change location" and "Change date".

Both would be great, I thing the Change button to change location and date is perfect.

1. The features you mention (dates, locations, list all upcoming events by date) — I think that makes sense directly in Talkyard. Things like showing a calendar of all events — that'd probably not be directly in Talkyard though. (Too many different ways to render a calendar, I'm thinking. But having a start and end date — that's simpler.)

What are your thoughts about all this?

That would already be awesome!

I'm just thinking, would it also be possible to add an option for regular events? Like a meeting that occurs every Friday from 10am to 12am? Not all meetings are "one go".

What is your community going to be about? What type of events? If I may ask.

So I'd like to create a website to federate people around ecology in France. They could ask on this website questions, like "What are the best ways to collect tomatoes seeds?", or "I'm a Mayer, what should I do if I want to share cars to other people in the village?". They also could create punctual events, like "Let's help the Mayer to create a bike path in town XXX on 9 sept 2019!". I also want to create channels, so that they can talk together in real time. And finally, I'd like to allow them to create "Projects", that would allow them to call for people with some skills/materials. Like "I need somebody that knows how to repair bikes, somebody that knows how to create a website, and somebody that knows how to create Associations, all of them living in Lyon", and the people living in Lyon would automatically get notified if they have the required skills. Talkyard implements already most of what I need, except events and skill-requirement for now, but it's already great. For the last thing I need (notification skills), I was thinking to use tags as well, like skill-bike-fixer, skill-web-developper, skill-jurist, skill-create-associations, location-lyon, location-rhone, and allow the user to configure more complex notifications (for now they are only notified when a message is posted in a given category, but it's not possible to configure more complex notifications, like "Notify me when the tag skill-web-developper is posted", or "Notify me when the tag skill-bike-fixer is posted together with location-lyon"... But I'll add this Idea later on ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the great job, I hope Events will appear soon! Btw, do you accept external help/PR on github (I may want to help if I have some free time later)? And do you have a place for donation?

PS: it has nothing to do with events, but do you have a nice way to quote a full message? for now I copy paste your message, but it does not include your formatting.

1. Hi Tobias,

(Sorry for the late reply. I don't know why I'm not better at replying to you and other people sooner ... This time, I was travelling, looking for some place to live, and a bug that seemed urgent appeared and took a while to deal with, and finishing some blog comments things I had promised others ... But still, I do have time to reply to people, that doesn't take long. I'll try to schedule 20 minutes each noon replying to messages.)

I could eventually take care of adding it to some calendar if I need it, and if there are ways to access the database.

There'll be (sooner or later) an API so you can send HTTP requests and fetch and list events.

open a full page when creating a new Event instead of just opening a small box below the screen

There's a Maximize button that opens the editor into the whole window. It's next to the Post and Cancel buttons. — Maybe I can somehow make this button simpler to find, or auto-maximize the editor, when creating an Event type topic, hmm.

I'd prefer to put everything on the same page

That's also easier for me to implement

be able to add tags directly when I'm writing a new Question/Problem/Idea/...

Ok, good idea

add an option for regular events?

Yes, and not initially though. This is (I think) a small can of worms: there're so many different ways one might want to configure recurring events. Listing upcoming events also becomes a bit complicated.

Thanks for describing your use case. I'll reply to that, and the other things, tomorrow.

I like your use case, it's well aligned with what I want Talkyard to be able to do.

1. Hi again Tobias @tobiasBora,

So, requirements as per the use cases: (I hope I didn't miss anything)

• Questions that reach the right people — by having a location? And tags like transportation and food etc, and skill-bike-fixer? Then people in that place, who listen for those tags, get notified?

• Real time chat channels. (How would these be structured? E.g. one per city? And one per skill-tag, e.g. a skill-web-developer global chat?)

• Projects: Post something to be done, plus a list of skills / things-needed, and a location. (Sometimes maybe a start date or a deadline?)

• "Advanced" notification settings, like notify for [a location and one's skills getting mentioned], like: skill-web-developper, skill-bike-fixer ...

do you accept external help/PR on github (I may want to help if I have some free time later)?

Yes

And do you have a place for donation?

Not yet, maybe I should enable donations via e.g. GitHub, hmm.

quote a full message? ... include formatting

Not right now. Hmm, this should be possible to implement, by looking at the text one has selected and <b> and <i> etc tags in there.

Some thoughts:

About locations: Initially, tags can work, but also, categories. Maybe a category for each city? Then, if I enable subscribe-to-tags-but-scoped-to-a-category, the location + skills-requested notifications would start working sooner.

About date-times and locations: Apparently a location and start-end time can be useful for "all" kinds of topics. E.g. a question that concerns a specific city only, or a Project / Idea topic with a start date or a deadline, ... although it's not an event.

Sorry again for the late reply. Don't know if you're still looking to use Talkyard for this? — In any case, I think the next step is to create a topic of type Event, and add optional start / end date-times to all types of topics. And, a topic list filter button like "Show events" or "Events" or "Agenda".

• Progress
          with doing this idea
        • T@tobiasBora closed this topic 2019-09-20 12:02:51.946Z.
        • T@tobiasBora reopened this topic 2019-09-20 12:02:56.165Z.
        • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2019-10-16 11:25:19.711Z.
        • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2019-10-16 22:32:46.349Z.