No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Feature request: New topic type: Article

By Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
    2020-04-10 21:05:35.581Z2020-06-08 17:43:51.923Z

We've changed the design a bit on our forum and I think we'd like to consider using Talkyard for our documentation (in a way you could say our "How to" category is already documentation-by-support)

Here's an example:
    https://forum.soundflow.org/-1842/how-to-remote-control-obs

I would like to have a topic type called "Article". It would be like an Info page, but with comments.
    Or - you could say, very close to being a "Discussion" page - but the primary reason to have it would not be for discussion, so the icon should be an article icon and it shouldn't be called a "discussion" when you hover the icon.
    It should also have an author name.. So basically very close to a discussion.
    Perhaps you could also have Articles without comments which would be like an info page but with author name.
    Generally I think we'd like to have author names on everything.

Does that make sense?

If this gets combined together with a tags feature then we would probably start using this for documentation

Here's another example of a longer article where we don't want comments since it's a highly debated topic - but we do want the author name:
    https://forum.soundflow.org/-1849/setting-up-soundflow-stream-deck

[Edit] Related: Topic type 'Link', https://www.talkyard.io/-180/topic-type-link /KajMagnus [/Edit]

• 4 replies
    1. C
      Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
        2020-04-10 22:10:22.208Z

It could be nice if they were almost like "Starred articles" even in the UI..
        Not just pinned - but like, excellent or good or important articles.
        Perhaps tagging will be enough, and then we can use some custom css to display custom icons or styling..

1. Would all "Starred" articles typically also be Pinned? — I'm wondering if "Starred" would be an article property, or if could possibly be a Pin proprety. — I suppose it'd be an article property. Also, mabye there'll be 100 "Starred" articles, because there're so many things to write really good articls about. But one cannot have that many articles pinned :- P

Tagging + custom CSS sounds good. And maybe later think about adding built-in support

2. In reply tochrscheuer:

Yes makes sense, good idea. I can use this, me too, for Talkyard's upcoming documentation.

(Some time later I suppose I'll move ? copy-paste? Ty's docs into a Git repo, since needs to be in Git too, since Ty is open source — however, initially it'd be simpler for me to just create the Ty docs here in Ty.)

1. CChristian Scheuer @chrscheuer
              2020-04-20 18:03:11.213Z

Yea this makes perfect sense. Perhaps create a batch job that just converts the markdown to a directory on your computer where your codebase is and you can use that to sync data to git (eventually)?
              That could be helpful in a bunch of scenarios for other users as well. For example if we wanted to keep documentation inside TY but also have static copies of it elsewhere.

• Progress
              with doing this idea
            • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2020-04-20 04:10:21.681Z.