No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Is it possible to put multiple threads on the same page?

I'm interested in whether it is possible to put multiple threads onto the same page simultaneously. The use case I am exploring for Talkyard involves attempting to achieve something not quite as sophisticated as commenting in a Google doc, but is along those lines.

General idea being that one could comment upon multiple content elements on the same page.

I suppose this is really a question about what the React frontend supports.

Any thoughts or past experiences? Thanks!

• 2 replies
  1. possible to put multiple threads onto the same page simultaneously

A bit:
    Right now, different threads cannot be visible at the same time, when they're on the same page.
    But otherwise, it's possible to have many threads on the same page.
    By using different data-discussion-id=... attributes.
    There's an end-to-end test for this, but it reloads the page, after changing the discussion id though.

comment upon multiple content elements on the same page

Is the idea that these different "sub discussions" / threads, be visible at the same time?
    Or would there be, say, a button like: "5 comments click to show" and then, if clicking, only that thread would be shown?

(There was someone who wanted to do something similar long ago, with maps. Namely clicking a location on a map, and then bringing up a discussion about that location. Then, there'd be many discussions on the same page (the map view) but only one discussion visible, at the time (for the location one clicked). I don't know what became of this project though )

If you have any screenshot or mockup, it'd be interesting to have a look :- ) What's the project going to be called? (if I may ask)

1. In reply totimrourke:

Status update May 2021: I just got this working, on localhost only — there're somewhat many changes, and it'll take some weeks until it's been code reviewed and tested, and can be merged into the main branch.

Anyway I think what you have in mind — many different discussions on the same page, in different "boxes"? (different <iframes> in Ty's case) — will be possible, within a month.

Although I suspect that that's a bit late, I mean, almost a year since July 30 last year.

I suppose this is really a question about what the React frontend supports.

Actually that part of Talkyard doesn't use React. Instead, it's plain Javascript (React isn't needed). The slightly tricky thing is instead to keep the different <iframes> with comments, synchronized with each other. For example, if one logs in or out in one of them, the others should notice.

1. Progress
        with doing this idea
      2. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2021-05-08 21:34:10.417Z.