No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Issues

Issues with @media print stylesheet

By Michał Nazarewicz @mina86
    2021-02-09 11:32:05.454Z

The avatars look atrocious in print. The biggest issue is the

a[href]::after { content: " (" attr(href) ")"; }

rule. Could we get a display: none for avatars and/or get the above rule limited to only the text of the comment?

Speaking of print media, could we also get a display: none for Edit, More, Reply etc. buttons? Those are meaningless in print.

• 7 replies
    1. Yes, and until then, you can customize the CSS here: https://your talkyard site/-/admin/customize/css-js.

I'll try to remember to include this in the upcoming version at the end of this week probably

1. In reply tomina86:

Oh now I see, that problematic Biggest Issue above is from Bootstrap:

@media print {
          a[href]:after {
            content: " (" attr(href) ")";
          }

However, that's not needed, for the avatars, in Ty's case — one can see anyway, via the username, who wrote what anyway and how to go to that person's profile page.

I'll undo that old Bootstrap CSS. ... New Ty version upcoming now soon ...

1. In reply tomina86:

@mina86 This should now have been fixed, here at Ty .net. Would you like to try?

Or if you're self hosted: I'll bump the self hosted version number in a few days, then after that you could try.

1. MMichał Nazarewicz @mina86
              2021-03-04 14:10:02.960Z

Can confirm. Appears to be working fine now.

I see Reply button et al are gone as well (which is good), but ‘Log In’ has been left behind and is still visible in print.

1. Thanks for checking. I'll fix in the upcoming version. (If you notice something more, let me know :- ))

Can I ask, what do you do with the discussions you print?
                If you paste them on the wall in the organization, or hand out to people before a meeting, or if it's for a book or ... Hmm.

1. MMichał Nazarewicz @mina86
                    2021-03-05 08:57:33.589Z

I didn’t print it, I just noticed this preview when I was testing my site’s @media print CSS rules.

1. Oh I suspect you're the first one to try that :- )   You do that in Chrome Dev Tools?

Now I hid the login buttons — would you like to see if it looks better now?

2. Progress
                with handling this problem
              3. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2021-02-15 14:17:23.523Z.
              4. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2021-02-23 19:18:37.044Z.
              5. @KajMagnus marked this topic as Done 2021-05-17 05:19:27.225Z.