No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Issues

Solved problems have wrong icons on lists

By Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
    2021-02-28 17:10:13.095Z

Check this thread:
    https://forum.soundflow.org/-4265/soundflow-42-new-deck-on-the-computer-screen-imprisoning-protools

It's a Problem type thread:

And it's marked as solved:

But out in the list it doesn't appear as solved:

• 11 replies
    1. C
      Christian Scheuer @chrscheuer
        2021-02-28 17:11:32.445Z

This is a high priority bugfix/regression for us, since it means we have no idea when walking through bug reports if they are solved or not, causing a lot of time lost.

1. CChristian Scheuer @chrscheuer
            2021-02-28 17:13:16.902Z

Or maybe it was always like this? In any case, it's confusing that the new feature to mark different thread types as solved make them look different.
            For a Question type, it looks like this:

I don't see why problems shouldn't have the same visual guides as questions. It's equally important for a problem to be able to find the solution as it is for a question, IMO.

1. Or maybe it was always like this?

I think so, although I'm not completely sure. I've been annoyed about this for a while at least (although didn't know others were also frustrated about it), but not impossible that I deployed a regression to Ty .io some weeks ago and not to Prod until last week.

mark different thread types as solved make them look different. I don't see why problems shouldn't have the same visual guides as questions

You mean square box + check mark, vs circle + check mark?

Actually I've been thinking about this:

• Square boxes for ideas / to-do — that's how to-do check marks typically look, right.
              • Circles for questions
              • Triangles for problem — like a warning triangle.

Then one can see at a glance if something was probably an idea, a question, or something broken that got fixed. ... Is how my thoughts are going

2021-02-28 20:40:09.715Z

I just meant that solutions in "Problem" threads don't get the green highlighting of the author's name.

2021-02-28 20:41:48.325Z

Ah gotcha on wanting to distinguish the icons. TBH, we just care that something is fixed/closed or not, when doing quick overviews. If they're all different, this has the risk of becoming too much info. It's much harder to skip a bunch of icons that are all identical looking.
                      But I'm sure you'll find something good. My input is just that it's important to be able to quickly glance over closed threads.

1. solutions in "Problem" threads don't get the green highlighting of the author's name

Aha, thanks for clarifying. Now also Problem threads get that green highlighting of the author's name.

we just care that something is fixed/closed or not, when doing quick overviews. If they're all different, this has the risk of becoming too much info. It's much harder to skip a bunch of icons that are all identical looking.

That's a good point. Now I actually reused the Answer icon also for Problem + Solution post, so solutions and answers look the same. — So now there will be just a little bit fewer icons in the forum topic list.

(I think it barely matters if originally the topic was phrased as a question, or as a problem — what matters is that there is an answer / solution post that one can scroll down to and read? And then it's nice with a specific icon for that, i.e. the checkmark (without any box around) for both Problem+Solved and Question+Answered. And likely the Problem could in fact have been rephrased as a Question instead)

2021-03-04 05:55:32.900Z

Exactly! Great job, thank you!!

• In reply tochrscheuer:

Fixed on localhost, I have in mind to deploy to Prod on Tuesday (in the slightly more quiet morning this time).

1. Ooops sorry, will be tomorrow or the day after. (Most of Monday disappeared)

2. In reply tochrscheuer:

Server upgraded; seems to work: Look at https://forum.soundflow.org/-4270/updated-both-ipad-and-soudnflow-app-to-42-my-custom-surfaces-will-no-longer-load-on-either-desktop-o, which is a Problem topic, with a solution accepted,

and in the topic list, if you search for "Updated both Ipad and Soudnflow" you'll notice it now has the "there is an answer / solution post" check mark icon.

2021-03-04 05:54:49.417Z

Yay, it works! Thank you!!

• Progress
                        with handling this problem
                      • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Started 2021-02-28 20:26:48.485Z.
                      • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Done 2021-03-18 13:34:03.895Z.