No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Feature request: Convert post to new thread

By Michael Lynch @michael
    2022-09-20 22:29:05.095Z

Something that happens occasionally on our forum is that users get confused and request help by posting to an unrelated thread.

Currently, there are two workarounds for this, neither of which is great:

1. Ask the user to start a new thread
    2. Admin creates a new thread and then moves the user's post to be a reply to the new thread

I'd love it if there were an option in addition to Move that could be like "Convert to new thread" where an admin can assign a post title and then the post becomes the text of the new thread. That would have a similar result as asking the user to start a new thread but with much less friction.

• 2 replies
    1. In reply tomichael:

Ok yes definitely needed. Any thoughts about what title to give such a new thread / page? Maybe there could be a type-a-title dialog, when clicking the "Convert" button?

I suppose any descendant comments should get moved to the new page as well, by default? That is, "Convert" would move the comment, any replies to that comment, replies to those replies etc (the whole sub tree), to a new page.

1. Michael Lynch @michael
          2022-09-22 20:57:40.774Z

Maybe there could be a type-a-title dialog, when clicking the "Convert" button?

Yeah, I like that idea. Any auto-generated title would probably be pretty poor.

I suppose any descendant comments should get moved to the new page as well, by default? That is, "Convert" would move the comment, any replies to that comment, replies to those replies etc (the whole sub tree), to a new page.

Ah, right. I hadn't thought about child elements, but I agree with that behavior.

• Progress
          with doing this idea
        • @KajMagnus marked this topic as Planned 2022-09-22 03:00:32.983Z.